Spaces that are used for multiple functions need to have some flexibility. Therefore movable or stackable furniture is great for this kind of thing. If you have a café of coffee shop and your looking for a good looking stacking chair then after typing “stacking chairs,” into Google you may have been slapped in the face with images resembling something out of a primary school or old fashioned doctors waiting room. But, beautiful stackable chairs do exist. Here, I’ve selected five designs which are elegant and good looking and would complement any dining space.
- The Trinidad chair by Fredericia is designed by Nanna Ditzel, inspired by elaborate fretwork and made with a metal frame and plywood shell
- The Malmö chair by Pedrali is a beautifully elegant Ash timber chair with plywood shell
- The Speed Chair by Johanson Design designed by
Johan Lindstén has a visible leg frame that enfolds the seat. I specified this chair in my concept design for a Formula One teams factory restaurant.
- The Visu By Muuto is a beautifully simple chair made with form-pressed veneer wood with a metal sled base
- Another timber option is a beech chair – the Take by Billiani
In most cases the most beautiful and well crafted furniture comes at a price for obvious reasons. If you have a lot of covers to sit in your restaurant, consider using a fewer number of higher quality seats strategically placed amongst some less expensive chairs.
Please note that for contract furniture you may have to purchase through the designer or manufacturers authorised furniture suppliers as they don’t often sell directly.
Featured image is the visu chair by MUUTO